New TriCaster: "most important release in the history of NewTek"
NewTek's new TC1 feature 16 inputs and output resolutions up to 2160p60
NewTek has announced the TriCaster TC1, a new edition to its Tricaster multi-camera and media publishing solution.Using NewTek's proprietary NDI technology for IP workflows, TriCaster TC1 supports 16 external inputs of up to 4K UHD 60p resolution and offers multiple Skype TX channels for adding remote video.
"This is probably the most important product release in the history of newtek," NewTek's Brian Olson told TV Tech Global. "This is the culmination of over a decade of experience."
The TC1's IP connectivity is the key to its innovation, said Olson: "Over the last ten years we began using IP video as a way to get additional inputs into our system. We were limited to the SDI I/O. But we came out with NDI (NewTek's proprietary IP standard) at IBC last September and moved forward with a full blown IP video standard, while the rest of the community has still been sorting itself out. 4k is made possible in a practical way by IP. And it's our IP native approach that lets us do 4K without compromises now."
The TC1 is optimised for streaming directly to Facebook Live, YouTube Live, Microsoft Azure, Periscope, Twitch, and other streaming sites, or delivering video clips directly to social media sites via the TriCaster TC1 interface. It features built-in video servers, macro automation, advanced chroma-keying, ISO-recording and replay.
NewTek says the TriCaster TC1 and IP Series features the only multi-channel Skype TX integration in a live production system in the world. Any of the TC1’s 16 external inputs can be designated for live, broadcast-quality Skype video calling. With studio-ready call control from an external laptop or workstation running the Skype TX controller application, calls can be configured and monitored without affecting the TriCaster TC1 operator’s workflow. Other active call channels from NewTek TalkShow systems can be managed from the controller for additional call capacity and streamlined management.
In addition to TriCaster TC1’s onboard SDI I/O, customers have the option to configure the number of physical SDI connections based on need with the NewTek Connect line of connectivity and productivity products. With versatile functionality ranging from SDI to IP video conversion and I/O channel expansion, to 4K UHD connectivity and IP interoperability, along with video recording, monitoring, and scopes, NewTek Connect solutions seamlessly integrate with TriCaster TC1 and IP Series to deliver the workflow required. Customers can add NC1 IN modules each with 4 SDI inputs, and/or NC1 I/O modules that provide 8 SDI inputs or outputs. The NC1 I/O module can also be configured for quadlink 3G-SDI delivering 2 channels of 4K UHD video.
Get ready for 4K
Olson said that though customers may not need 4K capabilities right now, being "4K ready" is increasingly vital "There are a lot of sportscasters who can’t even get contracts if they don’t have the capability to do 4K. It may be that initially only the premiere games are produced in 4K. But we are being asked about it more. They feel better with a new purchasing decision if it has 4K included. I think it’s definitely on the verge of becoming a requirement."
"A lot of our core market, in additional to linear broadcast, is live streaming," said Olson. "Streaming is also a perfect way to deliver 4K now. And you can stream 4k directly to the internet with TC1. We can encode video and publish content to social media and all the popular streaming sites."
The TC1 has full IP-connection via its NDI technology with compatible products from other third-party manufacturers without any baseband video connections. Customers have a choice of a 2RU unit, or a 3RU unit with redundant power, and a choice of two control panels.
TriCaster TC1 in a 2RU chassis is priced at $14,995 USD. TriCaster TC1R with optional redundant power in a 3RU chassis is priced at $19,995 USD. TC1LP and TC1SP Control Panels are priced at $11,995 and $6,995 USD respectively.
NewTek Connect NC1 IN and the NC1 I/O modules are priced at $5,995 and $9,995 USMSRP respectively.
- Switching, streaming, and recording in 4K UHD, with support for video formats up to 2160p60, along with 3G, HD, and SD resolutions
- 16 external inputs with any combination of SDI, NDI, IP, or Skype TX
- Four mix/effects busses supporting separate mixes, keying layers, virtual sets and compositing
- Multi-channel ISO recording to full-resolution QuickTime and H.264 files for VOD, post-production, and archive
- Dual-channel live streaming to Facebook Live, Microsoft Azure, Twitch, Twitter and YouTube Live
- Real-time export for social media sharing to Facebook, Imgur, LinkedIn, Twitter, Vimeo and YouTube
- Integrated video servers allowing playback, replay, and live editing without additional hardware
- Production automation with custom macro commands, full-motion compositing, and flexible control options
- Audio mixing with multi-source configuration and control, professional DSPs, and 4x4x4 channel routing
- Creative capabilities which include multi-bus mix effects, animated titles and transitions, advanced chroma keying, and live virtual sets
- Other operator-centric features including PTZ camera control, 4x4x4 audio matrix router and mixer, DANTE and AES 67, and animated buffers