Canon releases EOS 5D Mark IV
The new DSLR features 4K at 30/25/24fps and HD up to 120fps
Canon has released a new edition to its EOS 5D DSLR cameras, the EOS 5D Mark IV.
A successor to the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, the camera features a 30.4 megapixel CMOS sensor with wide exposure latitude, 7 frames per second (fps) high speed shooting, internal 4K movie recording and built-in Wi-Fi and GPS.
The EOS 5D Mark IV is the first camera to premiere the Dual Pixel RAW file format, allowing photographers to fine-tune images in post-production by adjusting or correcting the point of sharpness.
- Dual Pixel RAW - Each of the EOS 5D Mark IV’s 30 million pixels is made up of two photodiodes which can be used together or individually. This technology enables the creation of Dual Pixel RAW files which contain a pair of images shot from two very slightly different points of view. When processed using Digital Photo Professional software, Dual Pixel RAW files allow photographers to perform one of three types of unique adjustments. Image Microadjustment allows the position of maximum sharpness to be adjusted which is great for fine-tuning portrait images. Bokeh Shift allows out-of-focus highlights to be shifted horizontally so they coincide better with in-focus elements, and ghosting reduction can be used to reduce the appearance of artefacts like flare.
Canon is also introducing two new high performance L-series lenses; the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM and
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM.
The EOS 5D Mark IV has an ISO range of 100 to 32000, expandable from 50 up to 102400. Its noise processing algorithm aims to further improve low light shooting.
The camera's 61-points / 41 cross-type AF points cover an expanded sensor area and provide the ability to focus even under moonlight at EV -3 in viewfinder shooting mode, or EV -4 in Live View mode. The EOS 5D Mark IV accommodates extenders with all telephoto lenses for f/8 AF with all 61 points, including 21 cross type.
The high resolution 3.2-inch LCD with full touch panel operation across is combined with a new AF ‘Area Selection’ button providing AF point selection. Additionally, the camera features a 150K RGB+IR metering sensor with a dedicated DIGIC 6 processor for accurate exposures and precise subject detection and tracking.
The camera features DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) at 30/25/24 fps shooting and provides the ability to extract 8.8MP JPEG images from 4K videos. In addition to internal 4K, the camera also features up to 120p HD, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, time lapse movie and a new HDR movie mode.
The camera features built-in Wi-Fi for remote operation and secure file transfer (FTPS/FTP) via smart devices using the Canon Camera Connect app, and NFC provides instant connections between compatible devices.
GPS geotags each image in the EXIF data with automatic time updates helping to manage images and IPTC metadata, such as details of a shoot, is automatically embedded.
Pricing & availability
• The EOS 5D Mark IV is available from September 2016 with an RRP of £3,629 / €4899.99
• The EF 24-105mm f/4 L II USM is available from Q4 2016 with an RRP of £1,129 / €1,449.99
• The EF 16-35mm f2.8L III USM is available from October 2016 with an RRP of £2,349 / €2,999.99
• The Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is available from October 2016 with an RRP of £39.99 / €49.99