Blackmagic releases new compact pro camera
The URSA Mini Pro is immediately available for $5995
Blackmagic Design made several new gear announcements yesterday, among them their newest camera, the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K. The camera aims to offer high-end digital images via a compact broadcast camera form factor.
The URSA Mini Pro has a 4.6K image sensor that captures up to 4608x2592 pixels with 15 stops of dynamic range and a super wide colour gamut. Blackmagic Design colour science is used to process the raw sensor data. URSA Mini Pro features neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation. The two, four and six stop filters are designed to match the colorimetry of the camera and provide additional latitude, even under harsh lighting conditions. The IR filters compensate for both far red and infrared wave lengths to eliminate IR contamination. The ND filters are true optical filters with a mechanism that quickly moves them into place when the ND filter dial is turned.
Blackmagic has tried to pay particular attention to the camera's ergonomics putting tactile control buttons, switches, knobs and dials on the outside of the camera, to give users easier access to camera settings. URSA Mini Pro also features a status screen that displays important information such as timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels. The status display features a backlight and is designed to be visible in both dimly lit studios and direct sunlight.
The URSA Mini Pro has a new interchangeable lens mount that makes it compatible with virtually all professional lenses. Included standard is an EF mount for working with high quality photographic lenses. The EF mount can be easily replaced with a PL mount or a B4 broadcast lens mount for working with broadcast HD lenses. Both PL and B4 mounts are sold separately. The camera also includes a standard 12 pin Hirose lens control connector.
The camera includes both dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders. With dual slots for each media type, full cards can be swapped for empty ones without stopping the camera. URSA Mini Pro can record lossless 12-bit CinemaDNG RAW files, or 10-bit ProRes files for easy post production workflows with minimum storage requirements.
The camera's magnesium alloy body includes an external high-visibility LDC status display for viewing shooting inforamtion, a foldout touch screen for reviewing shots in the absence of an extra on-set monitor, 12G-SDI connectors, XLR audio, and built-in stereo microphones. The camera also comes with DaVince Resolve Studio post production software.
URSA Mini Pro is available now from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide for US$5,995. Also available from resellers are the optional URSA Mini Pro PL lens mount for US$245, as well as the optional URSA Mini Pro B4 HD lens mount for US$385. URSA Mini Pro comes standard with an EF lens mount, and additional replacement mounts can also be purchased for US$175.
URSA Mini Pro features summary
- 15 stops of dynamic range
- Super 35mm 4.6K sensor with third generation Blackmagic Design colour science processing of raw sensor data
- Interchangeable lens mount with EF mount included as standard. Optional PL and B4 lens mount available separately
- Two, four and six stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation designed to specifically match the colourimetry and colour science of URSA Mini Pro.
- Fully redundant controls including ergonomically designed tactile controls which allow direct access to important camera settings
- Built in dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders
- Magnesium alloy body
- LCD status display for checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status and audio levels
- Support for CinemaDNG 4.6K RAW files and ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at Ultra HD and HD resolutions
- Supports up to 60fps 4.6K resolution capture in RAW
- Features all standard connections, including dual XLR mic/line audio inputs with phantom power, 12G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay and separate XLR 4 pin power output for viewfinder power, headphone jack, LANC remote control and standard four-pin 12V DC power connection
- Built-in stereo microphones for recording sound
- Four-inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings